Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 11, 2001

Twin Towers





BY CRISTINA

MTV’s first music video, “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles played on August 1, 1981. I was born twenty four days later, making me truly a child of the so called ‘MTV generation.’ When I was younger, I often lamented the lack of truly significant causes and events for my generation that had marked the previous two. For my grandparents, it was World War II, the horrors of the Holocaust, the advent of television, and the start of the Cold War. My parents’ generation was shaped by the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights movement, and the assassination of four very significant people.


As I think back, very few people in my generation may recall the following events, but I remember them distinctly. I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, and feeling as excited as the young people with their sledgehammers, dancing on top of the Wall’s ugly, graffiti covered surface. I remember the first Iraq War, and being afraid of what I was seeing on the TV. I was nine at the time, and the TV was on twenty-four hours a day, locked on CNN. I recall the first World Trade Center bombing, the fall of Communism and thus the end of the Cold War, I remember Tiananmen Square.


But the impact on my life because of these events was small. The biggest event, though it still only affected me indirectly, was September 11, 2001. It was a bright, sunny Tuesday—a perfect early fall morning— and I was on my way to work, when the radio made the first announcement that started eighteen months of worldwide confusion fear, anger, grief, and loss of life:

“This just in—a small aircraft has just struck the World Trade Center in New York City . . .”


It has been seven years. Let us never forget.


Our True Story

We are wounded, but not slain.
We shall lay and bleed awhile,
Then rise to fight again.



The flower bars are from here

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What amazes me is that people still think that GW was evil enough to kill 3,000 Americans just to "steal" oil out of the ground at $200 a barrel. Never forget and follow this link:http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson091108.html

Anonymous said...

Hope I am doing this right. Totally agree with the walk down memeory lane. I remember when Rodney King got beat up. I actually marched in a rally downtown and was quoted in the newspaper that evening. I remember having a whole wall devoted to Michael Jackson, the Pepsi commercial, Thriller, Madonna, parachute pants and penny loafers.
"Things that make you go hmmmm"
SSaiz

GreenPunkMama said...

I think people forget to easily what the war on terror really is about. It's not about oil, and it's not 'a mistake' as Obama says. If you stand for nothing you fall for everything. We can't leave room for more error.

speaking of obama, have you seen this iraq vet's video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

ChibyMethos said...

"If you stand for nothing you fall for everything."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!
Just seeing the World Trade Center picture that way brings back all of the pain of that day. It still hurts...
After having lived through VietNam, the assassinations (another set of very painful and telling events), and the Civil Rights movement (I got tear gassed too), the terrorist attacks peak my list. I WILL NEVER FORGET and your generations must make sure that your peers don't either.

-God continue to Bless America-